Shelco’s technology-based solution produces tangible results through each step of construction utilizing integrated Building Information Technologies (BIM)/Virtual Design Construction (VDC) tools. Shelco’s BIM/VDC process allows us to view every aspect now—fully realized and in vivid 3-D to essentially “build” the building twice—first in virtual form, where we can easily identify and resolve issues without costs or delays—then in the field, where the optimized project is constructed.
Using BIM, we create a model that shows visualizations, logistics planning, constructability analysis and clash detection, while creating coordination drawings for all trades and identifying exact locations of penetrations which helps visualize the project’s schedule, sequence, and logistical requirements.
These visualizations allow the project team to communicate design intent in 3D instead of a flat 2D plan. Real time walk-thru’s and simulations can realistically convey the look and feel of the new facility before a shovel ever hits the ground.
- Facilitating collaboration
- Reducing mistakes and misunderstandings
- Lowering costs from changes during construction
- Expediting scheduling and processes
- Increasing precision and safety
- Mitigating risk through real-time clash detection
At Shelco, we staff an in-house team of professionals dedicated to BIM. Our director of BIM has years of experience working with “Virtual Building Systems/Software” (Revit, Navisworks, 3DS, CAD) and many industry leading software for a wide range of projects including laboratories, data centers, healthcare facilities, low to high-rise structures, and multi-million-square-feet higher education campuses. Our BIM capabilities include:
- Converting 2D plans and specifications to a 3D model
- Collaborating between multiple design disciplines
- Developing a complete constructability analysis
- Generating quantity take-offs from a 3D model
- Scheduling construction in 4D (time)
- Providing flybys, renderings and walkthroughs
- Simulating interferences and collision detection
- Anticipating maintenance and scheduling
- Facilitating space planning and asset management
- Adding phase planning as needed
- Coordinating disaster planning, logistics and safety
- Providing as-built drawings and a model at project completion